Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Recap

So this assignment asked us to review all of are previous blogs and try to look for common themes. I know that the blogs I have written so far have mainly focused on how we should live in this world, one of the essential questions of English 2. Especially after reading articles like The Singer Solution to World Poverty and The Gift, the responsibilities and obligations we have in this life and to each other are really put into light.

The first essential question of English is: what kind of world is this? From my first few posts, the outlook there is on the world is that it's kind of unfair. When looking at the examples in the Singer Essay and the Water Buffalo Video, there are a lot of hard circumstances examined. This relates to one of my first essential questions: why is there so much suffering in the world? I think many of my posts have discussed what kind of suffering there is but not really the why. To relate this topic to the other essential questions, I would like to explore what we can do about all this suffering and what our roles are in the world.

I actually haven't really examined any of my other essential questions so maybe they are not as "essential" as I initially thought. One of my questions was: is there good and evil? and I think I would like to ammend that question. I want to explore whether doing nothing is as wrong as committing an "evil" deed. This idea is touched upon in my responses to the Singer Essay and and slightly in my This I Believe podcast. It's the idea of not telling the truth or not saying anything is as bad as telling a lie, however there is a lot of gray area when actions are concerned. I think that changing this question will make it more relevant to the direction my blogs have been going.

"No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks." Mary Wollstonecraft

1 comment:

kRiStiNa said...

dude, keeno you have seriously thought about this. Your suffering question is very interesting. Its kind of similar to mine : Why do bad things happen to good people?
Like, I didn't understand why Mr. Johnson had to be taken away. He was a good teacher and was always happy. I totally agree with you that life isn't fair but I don't think that we can do anything about it. Its all up to God.