At school on Friday, I was trying to help a friend write an essay about the Singer Solution. Her teacher had given her a series of questions to discuss in the paper and the first one kind of stood out to me. The question was something like "Is everything a matter of choice?".
This got me thinking, everyone wants to have control over their lives. We grow up believing that we can do anything or be anything that we want to be. We have to believe that we have some control or else people would be hopelessly lost. It's hard to think that everything is a matter of choice when you take a good look at the world. If people could choose what would happen to them, the world would be perfect and people would be happy all the time. There would be no poverty or disease, and people would only die if they got bored of living.
The reality is that life is unpredictable. You get thrown into a set of circumstances and you have to work with whatever you're given. No one asks to be poor or sick, they are because fate picks them. Perhaps the only choices that people do get to make are what they do after fate decides their situation. Every choice that is made could be because of fate. On the other hand, maybe life is so hard because people do have choices. What if the choices we make really do matter but people just make the wrong decisions.
I guess you can never really know for sure if there is such a thing as fate. I believe that there is fate and sometimes it hates us and sometimes it doesn't. We can believe what we want and try to make all the right choices, but sometime fate just wins. Fate wins despite of the choices and when that happens you just go wherever fate leads you.
“Fate is like gravity. You can jump up and down until your heart’s content, but the earth still falls into the sun, and the sun still courses through the galaxy, both indifferent to your short-lived and insignificant defiance.”
Saturday, January 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I respect your answers and views on life and what choices we have. If I understand it correctly, you believe that fate has control over all of us and all of our choices. But then why would we be posed with those questions and choices if fate will always answer them and pick for us? Why do the choices pass through us first and not go straight to fate? Also, does this mean that you are saying that we have absolutely no control over our own lives? Are no choices our's to decide?
If yes, then boy does life suck. What would be the point of living your life when it wouldn't be your's to live. (Sorry if this came out a little harsh. I didn't mean for it to be. :D)
So in your opinion fate decides two things: what situation you are born into and what path you take in life. I would have to say I agree with you with the first half of what fate is to you, that fate decides what situation you are born into. I believe this because if not fate, what else lead some people to be born poor and hungry while others rich and full?
I don't agree with the second part though, that fate decides what path you take in life, because then you could call every decision you ever made and could have made by your own judgment, fate. I mean, for example, if you had the choice to either do choice A or B, what would you call the other choice you didn't choose that you knew you could have also easily chosen. Do we have multiple fates? I think that there is fate in the beginning of life, but we determine the future through our choices from that point on.
Post a Comment